Monday, April 21, 2008

TOMATO-CORN SALAD by Jennie Holman Blake

Bart Hosmer, Bradley Ogden’s Parcel 104 restaurant, Santa Clara, CA (Sunset Magazine)

3 ears fresh sweet corn
1 lb. tomatoes, seeded and diced
¼ c. diced red onion, rinsed in cold water and patted dry with paper towels
1 T. rice wine vinegar
¼ c. chopped basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Over a large bowl, cut kernels off corn cobs and stir in tomatoes and onion. Toss with vinegar and basil; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Chef’s Note:
Fresh corn is often so sweet and tender that there is no need to cook it. Just cut the kernels off the cob and use. Hosmer also uses basil flowers in this dish. Just pull the flowers from the stalks and sprinkle them like confetti into the salad in place of (or in addition to) the chopped basil. They add a light, floral note.

Serves 4-6.

NOTE
From my very favorite recipe source—Sunset Magazine. Makes me proud to be a Californian. Did I really just say that? After how much I ridiculed all those freshman Cali girls in the dorms at BYU out frolicking in their swimsuits at their first sight of snow? Oh well. Older. Wiser. NORTHERN CALIFORNIAN—it’s two different countries, you know . . . no offense, Kir.

Only do this with fresh summer corn. Don’t even bother with the packaged ones from the store or Costco. Tried it, hated it. I seed the tomatoes before adding them to take some of the liquid out. I would also rinse the corn before adding to remove some of the starch and make the dressing a little less opaque (purely aesthetic). This just reminds me of summer BBQ’s in the back yard. Can you tell I’m aching for summer already?

Melba's Note: Well, when you live in a place that is already 80 degrees, no wonder you're in the mood for summer! Compare that to my sister Carrie in Spokane where it's 40 degrees and snowing today. Should I post a good hot chocolate recipe, Carrie? Oh, and Jen, no offense taken for the California Girl comment. ( I was born in Redondo Beach. :D )

No comments: