Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Beef Stroganoff by Maggie Haley

Says Maggie: I have made this recipe several times in the past couple weeks ... it is super easy, so good and also inexpensive. I put my modifications in (parentheses).

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients:
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup (I use Nature's Promise, an organic brand)
1 cup other dairy liquid (I've used sour cream, 1% milk, heavy cream and half-and-half so far -- all good)
1 cup other liquid (I've used red wine, chicken stock, water and beef stock so far -- all good)
1 envelope onion soup/dip mix
1 pound stew beef (I never knew that this was for when I saw it in the grocery store. Now I buy 2-3 lbs. of it every time I go shopping!)
1 large roughly chopped onion*
1 lb. button mushrooms*
Seasonings (I've used garlic, basil, thyme, sage, oregano and rosemary in different combinations & amounts -- Be brave! It's all good!)
*both onion and/or mushrooms can be eliminated for you picky eaters out there ... it's still GREAT without them!

Crock-Pot method:
Dump all ingredients in Crock Pot, stir to combine and cook for 4 hours on high or 6+ hours on low.
Stovetop method:
Sauté beef, onion, mushrooms & seasonings until browned / Add remaining ingredients & simmer until thickened (15-20 minutes), stirring periodically

Serve over egg noodles (my fave), rice or any short pasta.

Big yum!

Melba's Note: Maggie was my second (and better) half during grad school. She was an insta-friend. I adored her from the moment I met her! She lives in PA with husband Rob and adorable daughter Rose.

No comments: