Saturday, June 7, 2008

Homemade Whole Grain Pancake Mix from Carolyn Markham

Yield: 10 cups dry mix, 1c = 10 pancakes
3 1/2 c oats
4 c white whole wheat flour
1 c bleached all purpose flour
3T sugar
3T baking powder
1T salt
1T baking soda
3/4 c vegetable oil

Mix: Grind oats in food processor till chopped. (I skipped this step for "chunkier" pancakes.) Mix dry ingredients. Add oil slowly. You can freeze this mix at this point.
Pancakes: 1 cup mix. (Okay, that's what the recipe says. Carolyn and I added 1 1/2 cups cuz the batter was a little runny). 1 c buttermilk, 1 T orange juice, 1 egg. Let stand 15 min.
Nutrition: 2 pancakes = 139 calories, 6 g fat, 16 carbs, 2 g fiber.

Melba's Note: I know, I know, I already posted a whole grain pancake recipe. But pancakes are my favorite food right now and my sister-in-law, Carolyn, made these for breakfast last weekend while we were in Houston. They are yummy!
While we were staying with her, I decided that Carolyn is a French chef. She makes very very yummy food, but then doesn't eat a lot of it. That's how she stays so little. Sammie commented that she and I both love to show off our skills with the culinary arts. In other words, we both love to cook and eat good food!
I also decided that Carolyn is superwoman. There's pretty much nothing she doesn't do!

No comments: